Answering rules define how calls to this extension are handled. Users with “Simple User” scope can manage their own answering rules. Also view Answering Rules – Tips and Examples in our end user knowledge base.
To configure answering rules for the selected user:
- From the Users page, click the Answering Rules tab.
This lists the rules that are defined, and the order that they will be processed in. You can use the arrows on the left to move a rule up or down. In general, the most specific rule should be at the top, and a general rule (for example “always” or “default” last to catch any times that are not defined above). In the example above, Holidays contains the specific days the office will be closed for holidays. This would be the first rule. The next rule is for the general business hours, so would apply of the day is now a holiday. The final rule would capture all other times when not a holiday or when the office is closed.
- Use the Ring for drop-down list to select the maximum number of seconds that incoming calls ring for this user before the system routes the call to the user’s voicemail or the Forward if Unanswered option, if configured.
Allowing or Blocking Calls
To allow or block calls for this user:
Click the Allow/Block button. The Allow/Block pop-up window appear
- Calls from allowed numbers bypass Call Screening and server side Do Not Disturb (not phone DND). To allow numbers for this user, enter a number in the Enter a number field under ALLOWED NUMBERS, and then click the plus sign next to this field. Repeat this step for each additional number you want to allow for this user.
- Calls from blocked numbers receive a fast busy or number disconnected message. To block numbers for this user, enter a number in the Enter a number field under BLOCKED NUMBERS, and then click the plus sign next to this field. Repeat this step for each additional number you want to block for this user.
- To block anonymous or unknown numbers, check Block anonymous or unknown.
- Click Done.
Adding Answering Rules
Adding additional answering rules allows you to specify alternate call answering rules in a different time frame (for example, handle calls differently on a weekend than on a weekday).
- Click the Add Rule button.
Adding/Editing Answering Rules
|Time Frame||Select a time frame to which this answering rule will be applied. Choices shown are the ones previously configured using the procedure under the section “Adding Time Frames.”|
|Enabled||Add an answering rule: this check box does not appear.
Edit an answering rule: enable (check) or disable (uncheck) this time frame for this user.
|Do not disturb||Enables or disables the Do Not Disturb feature. Choices are:
● Checked = enable Do Not Disturb. Send all calls directly to voicemail (if available), without ringing the phone.
● Not checked = disable Do Not Disturb.
|Call screening||Enables or disables the Call Screening feature. Choices are:
● Checked = enable Call Screening. System prompts callers to say their name, and then lets you screen the call before accepting it.
● Not checked = disable Call Screening.
|Call Forwarding options||Select the following appropriate Call Forwarding settings. When entering another extension as a Call Forward option, a drop-down menu allows you to forward the call to specific resources associated with that extension (see Table 4-3). Some settings might not appear, depending on the features associated with the given extension.
● Always = immediately forward calls to the number specified in the text field.
● When busy = forward calls to the number specified in the text field when your extension has used all available call paths.
● When unanswered = forward calls to the number specified in the text field if the call is not answered after the specified ring timeout.
● When offline = automatically forward calls to the number specified in the text field if your desk phone has lost communication (for example, during a power outage).
|Simultaneous Ring||Simultaneous Ring (SIM Ring) allows multiple phones to ring at the same time. Check boxes allow you to include the user’s extension, ring all user phones at the same time, and use answer confirmation for external numbers (eg cellphone).
● Include user’s extension = check to ring the phone with the same extension as the user.
● Ring all user’s phones = ring all phones associated with this user at the same time.
● Answer confirmation for external numbers = ensures when conducting a simring to a cell/landline that the answering party is a person instead of voicemail by requesting them to press 1 to accept the call.
|In this field, you can enter the extension of another telephone you want to ring.
The clock icon allows you to specify a ring delay. A ring delay allows you to enter the amount of time before the call rings at the destination. To add other phones to the simring, click the green plus icon.
|Just ring user’s extension||Enables or disables the ringing of your telephone only.
● Checked = incoming call rings just your telephone.
● Not checked = feature is disabled.